Tuesday 29 April 2014

Student Cook Books



When I looked at Student Cookbooks I found that there were two distinct styles of them. The first style is reflected in images above, with thin text and Marks and Spencer style photography. Personally I don’t think that this is massively different to any other cookbook, and doesn’t reflect the sort of happy-go-lucky approach most students have towards cooking, and it comes across as something more serious, maybe something a mother would use to make meals for her family. The second type is reflected in the images below. I think the bolder, more in-your-face style of them is more reflective of students attitudes towards cooking, and so this is the sort of style I need to use. 




Clearly both these books have a massively bright use of colour, and I'm not sure how I feel about that. It's probably necessary as I know from experience that most students take a lot of encouraging to do some proper actual cooking, and so having something bright that grabs your attention and induces a positive attitude is probably a good thing. I do think that they've gone a bit over the top though, particularly the one on the right. I say this because the 'For Dummies" book is part of a series, and so the bright yellow is necessary for their branding. The red used in the other book however, seems to be completely random, and the contrast it has with the orange text is quite poor, "Ultimate Student" stands out a lot more than "The" and "Cookbook".




Looking at this range of books now makes me wish I'd researched them more and earlier on in the project, as they have the exact tone of voice which I was trying to achieve in my booklet.

No comments:

Post a Comment