Friday 17 January 2014

Glow in the Dark Posters

It was suggested to me in the final crit that as a solution to the problem of the poor lighting inside fish shops, I should experiment with glow in the dark ink and produce a poster that either explained the same information as the leaflet, or created a mental link to the leaflet in the audience’s mind. I think it was fairly unanimous within the group that there was too much information in the leaflet to put on a poster, and so I hope to produce a poster that works alongside my leaflet.

After researching what sort of effects could be made using glow in the dark inks, I was quite surprised at how cool it could look. I was expecting it to be a fairly limiting material that would reduce you to big blocks of colour and fairly little detail, but the posters below show otherwise. I should add, these pictures were collected from the internet, and so I have no actual proof that they are glow in the dark in their physical existence, but I decided to still look into the effects they created whilst appearing luminous on screen.

Vector Images

This poster shows how glow in the dark ink can be applied in the same basic way as normal ink, as shown in the intricate details and blobbier block colour parts of the image.

Iconic

The “Everyhting good dies here. Even the stars” poster is very similar to the keep calm and carry on style posters, which is re-assuring because it shows that the more traditional styles of poster still work in glow in the dark ink, and it’s not like I’ll be learning to design something completely different to what I’ve done before.

Detail
The amityville horror poster is interesting because of how it combines glow in the dark ink with normal ink to create highlight and shadow by printing on paper that isn’t solid black, which is something I’ll take into consideration.

 Gradients
The Simpsons based trick or treat poster shows how you can create gradients, and after looking into this online, this is something that, in all honesty, seems to be more trouble than it’s worth and something that isn’t appropriate for what I need, as you have to mix the inks in various different ratios and manually paint it.

Viral/Humour

This poster for marmite shows the effect glow in the dark ink can have on different audiences. For example, you couldn't see this actually being used for an advert for marmite, but it's the sort of thing you could see fulfilling a niche role either in shops or on the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment